Russell D. Hoffman's SPACE DEBRIS HOME PAGE
Space Debris Home Page
Presented by Russell D. Hoffman.
The problem of space debris is a shameful relic of several hundred
explosions and mishaps in outer space. Getting past it is the deadly
gamble of every space mission. There is no defense against it. And
man made nearly every bit of it in less than four decades.
The world needs to preserve the area of outer space known as
NEAR EARTH ORBIT so that future space missions will be
able to leave the planet! Already, it's so dangerous up there that
it is unreasonable to launch highly poisonous payloads due to the
risk of collision. What can be done? How did it happen? Read the
articles at this web site and learn more!
- Space Debris
- The Shocking Truth about this shameful pollution.
- Failed Russian Probe to Mars
- From the folks that brought you Chernobyl
- Stop Cassini Home Page
- No Nukes In Space! Not now, not ever.
- Stop Cassini Newsletter #52: October 4th, 1997
- Marylin Vos Savant comments on Space Debris.
- Stop Cassini Newsletter #46: September 21st, 1997
- Article about a "Mir miss" with space debris.
- Stop Cassini Newsletter #24: July 24th, 1997
- Article compares the 1989 Interagency report with the 1995 Interagency report.
- Comment to NPR
- A comment to National Public Radio on Space Junk
- Comment to CNN
- A comment to CNN on the tethered satellite experiment
- Correspondence with someone at JPL
- Comments about the rings of Saturn, space probes, aliens, and cosmic nothingness
- Letter to NASA
- Asking what is being done
- Other Environmental Issues
- Selected statements on specific issues...
Related Material Outside this Web Site:
- Award-winning videos on the fallacy of using nuclear power in space and other environmental issues.
- Interagency Report on Orbital Debris 1995
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 95-72164. An online and updated version of the report cited above.
I haven't had a chance to review the entire report but it appears to
say, judging from its Executive Summary, that the problem
is continuing to get worse (as predicted) but they are getting better at
monitoring and analyzing it and plan to come up with a plan sometime
in the future.
- Ultimate Space Debris Homepage
"Created to inform the general public of the growing problem that is
commonly referred to as Space Debris." The author of this site has both
informative and opinion pieces about the problem.
Note: I have heard of a group called Celestis Inc., of Houston, Texas
who will send your ashes on a temporary journey into lower earth
orbit, piggybacked onto regular launches, for a fee. They promote
space exploration and are quite
aware of the problems of space debris. Their plan should not be
compared to the one mentioned above for permanent placement of one's
ashes in near-earth orbit.
Table of Contents
The Animated Software Company
Last modified October 4th, 1997.
Webwiz: Russell D. Hoffman
Copyright (c) Russell D. Hoffman